Ireland during the Emergency (WW2)
A personal link first as with the Polish page
see restoration page to this site
The Ford Armoured Car was made at
Thomas Thompson & son of CARLOW in 1941
It was used during the Emergency (WW2) by the Irish Army
Only 28 were constructed, so this is a very rare piece of
and we now know that only possibly 4 remain
1 in our Museum in the North
1 in private hands in Shropshire unrestored
1 in Calvary Barracks at the Curragh
& 1 at (click on link below)
Thanks to Seoirse Devlin's research
(Under Restoration and we hope to have it touring Ireland later this year)
The Bombing of Neutral Ireland
during the Emergency (WW2)
when bombs destroyed a creamery at Campile, Co. Wexford, killing three people.
On successive nights, 2 and 3 January 1941, German bombs were dropped for the first time on Dublin City in the Donore area, around the South Circular Road and in Terenure, districts where many Jewish families resided.
The excuse offered by Hitler’s government for the January bombings, as for the Campile bombing, was that German aircraft had mistaken the Irish east coast for the west coast of Britain. The view most commonly held in Ireland was that the German bombings resulted from aircraft off-loading supplies to ensure a safe return to base.
“A wave of gratitude for Ireland’s errand of mercy has swept the city of Belfast overnight, establishing a bond of sympathy between North and South Ireland which no British or Irish statesman has been able to establish in a generation.”
On 19 June 1941, the Irish government announced that the German government had expressed regret for the North Strand bombing and promised compensation.
The North Strand bombings were the last to occur in Ireland
during the Second World War.
Also see Dublin Bombing 31st May 1941