How it all started

I started collecting when I was about 8 years of age,

when I was given pieces from my paternal grandfather David McCallion.

I remember as a young boy gas masks and helmets in my grand parents house

as many homes in that time still had.

One in particular, a civilian gas mask in a black painted tin which had been

a powdered milk tin that was originally white with blue writing on,

it had been issued by the ministry of food during World War 2 as part of rationing.

Later on in life as my knowledge grew.

I found out that this had been common practice with the gas mask's,

to give them better protection than the issued cardboard box.

Since then I have gathered all sorts of war time memorabilia relating

to both the services and to the home front.

Another fond memory I have as a child was when we lived in Birmingham

I visited my uncle Davy's scrap yard and got my hands on

my first German helmet and badges.

Also a good source for militaria was the ole flea market

at the Bull Ring in Birmingham were my Dad would take me as a boy.

When we came back home from living in England we would congregate

as a family at Granny and Grandads every Saturday,

it was common practice with all families back then.

We would get to see Uncles, Aunts and Cousins on a regular bases

and catch up, not like modern times when you only get to see relatives

at births deaths and marriages.

I also have fond memories of that time of being lifted up on to Grandads knee

and being told of his time in the army.

I feel very privileged that he was able to speak to me about his service.

Time must have softened the harshness of the Great War,

so that he could talk to me about it back then.

The war to end all wars so they believed.

Another memory I have was that in the next door neighbours garden

there was an Anderson Air Raid Shelter which I would often sneak in too

and would get told off as it may have been filled with rats.

After a recent exhibition in Ballysillan,

I have found out that the shelter still exists but is now covered over,

a step back in time for me will take place in the near future.

I will take some pictures and add to this site.

My maternal Grandfather never spoke of the war and all the

Fighting Whites History is completely new to me

It has been an amazing journey in the last year.

Because of these times past my interest in history began,

it grows with every day as I learn something new from the people I meet.

Join me in my journey to discover our past and hopefully some day

we will have our own War Museum here in Northern Ireland

to preserve the past so that every one can benefit and learn from it.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the members

of The Great War Forum, The World War 2 Talk Forum

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission and

The International Committee of the Red Cross

for your kind help and assistance

I would also like to thank the

The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Museum

The Royal Ulster Rifles Museum

The Royal Irish Fusiliers Museum

The War Memorial Museum Belfast


Somme Heritage Centre Newtownards

for their kind help with the research

and to all those who helped in any way

and gave permission to allow their material to

be reproduced on here

Also a big thank you to Steven Gallagher and Brian Duffy

for their marvellous work researching and restoring the family

photographs with a special mention in dispatches for

Paul Quinn for his dedication and perseverance

in mounting the medals and framing them correctly

Not forgetting all the other like minded people involved in

War Years Remembered and making it what it is today

Thank you





[Above] G/1725 Pte David McCallion & (89935)

My paternal Grandfather

who joined up originally with the Royal Irish Rifles

and finished his service with the Royal Irish Fusiliers

after also serving with the Liverpool Regiment

during the Great War.

He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal

He saw service with the 2nd Garrison Battalion

The Royal Irish Fusiliers in Macedonia

It was formed in Dublin in April 1916

He then moved to Templemore in May 1916

before departing to Salonika in August 1916

The Battalion was moved under command of the 228th Brigade

in the 28th Division from the 1st March 1917 to the 6th August 1917

(more details to follow)



[Above] 56571 Pte William McCready

Second from the left in back row

who served with The Hampshire Regiment

during the Great War

He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal


3364 Pte Samuel White

My maternal Great Grandfather, father of William and Samuel

who served with the 2nd Battalion The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

during the Great War

He was wounded on the 1st July 1916

Samuel lay buried for two days in the mud before being found and

brought back to his own lines

Discharged on the 1st October 1918 with a Silver Wound Badge

Samuel had at some stage in France befriended a short haired small

white dog which he called Verdun and brought back home with him

After the War he embroidered a scene depicting the carnage in the trenches

this apparently helped during is convalescence and to get over the shell shock.

He was awarded the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal

and entitled to wear a wound stripe and two blue service stripes

Some of the above information was taken from a tape recording

made in 1996 by Florence Lutton Canada from her mothers words

Florence Bailey Lutton nee White

(below also taken from the tape)

James White

Killed in the Dardanelles's

during the Great War

(son of James White)

(More details to follow)

Below Newington Book of Honour

A very special thank you to the church elders for the kind permission

and the loan of the book during a recent exhibition in Duncairn

allowing access to another piece of the White History

(Note Samuel and the James White Killed in the Dardanelles both mentioned)

anyone who can help with any other information please get in touch








[Below] 7012981 Rfn William White

My maternal Grandfather, brother of Samuel who served with the

1st Battalion The Royal Ulster Rifles in India 1937-39

and later as they became part of the 6th Air Landing Brigade.

Note the difference in spelling of the name White / Whyte

this was due to lessons learnt in the first World War,

The two brothers were not allowed to serve together in same unit

so Sammy thought he would change the spelling of his name

to dupe the Recruiting Sergeant,

as it was Sammy was unable to serve with his brother Billy

and went on to serve with the Norfolk's and was subsequently killed,

the family home at this time was 8 Upper Mervue Street, North Belfast.

He was awarded the North West Frontier Medal 37/39, 1939/45 Star,

Defence and British War Medal



[Below] Grandad Billy with Great Granny Emma White nee Davison

[Below] 5772633 L/Cpl Samuel Whyte

He was Killed In Action at Dunkirk

on the 27th May 1940.

He was serving with the 2nd Battalion The Royal Norfolk Regiment

as part of the rear guard,

while the British Expeditionary Force was evacuated from the beaches by boat.

He has no known grave.

This is my Great Uncle who paid the ultimate sacrifice by laying down his life

for both King and Country, and his comrades

as many Ulster and Irish men did.

It is very possible that Samuel was killed by the

No3 Coy of the 1st Battalion 2nd SS Totenkopf Regiment

Captain Fritz Knoechlein Officer Commanding

who ordered the LE PARADIS Massacre.

In 1948 Lieutenant Colonel Fritz Knoechlein was found guilty

of this war crime and was hanged in Hamburg on 28th January 1949

He was awarded the 1939/45 Star and British War Medal


Casualty Details

Young Belfast Signaller

Information has been received by his parents at 8 Upper Mervue Street, Belfast

that L-Corpl. Samuel Whyte, serving as a signaller with the Royal Norfolk Regiment,

has been reported as missing.

L-Corpl. Whyte is 20 years of age. He joined the Army as a boy of 17,

carrying on the tradition of his father,

who served throughout the last war and was wounded in 1917.

An elder brother, William is at present serving with the Royal Ulster Rifles in India,

and five cousins, one of whom was yesterday reported missing

are also serving with the B.E.F.

The above extract was printed in the Belfast Telegraph on 26th June 1940.

In Memory of
5772633 Lance Corporal Samuel Whyte

2nd Battalion

The Royal Norfolk Regiment
Killed in Action

on the 27th May 1940

Aged 21

Remembered with honour

on Column 43

Below a picture of the Signal Platoon before going to War in France

Most of the men shown below would have been murdered at the

Le Paradis Massacre 27th May 1940

As reported in the book Last stand at Le Paradis

The Signal Platoon and the Pioneers with Coy HQ

fought to the very last round with no other option but to surrender

and when the remaining 97 men of the Battalion did

they were marched in to a field and machine gunned down were they stood.

Middle row center man Samuel Whyte

Cousin No 1 of 5

brother of Hugh and Samuel(R.N.)

[Below]  7014159 Rfn John White

He was Killed In Action in Italy

on the 30th October 1943

While serving with the 1st Battalion

The London Irish Rifles

John is brother to Hugh and Samuel McBrinn White

he was also one of 5 cousins mentioned in press cutting

serving with the B.E.F. on the out break of War at


He was awarded the 1939/45 Star Italy Star, Defence Medal and British War Medal




Rifleman John White

London Irish, husband of Mary White, 53 Dover Street, Belfast,

killed in action. Only 21 years, he had almost four years service.

He leaves a daughter of four months he has never seen.

A brother is serving with the Royal Navy.

Another is a prisoner of war.

The above extract and picture was printed in a local newspaper

Wednesday, November 17, 1943.

Funeral notices



October, 1943, killed in action.

JOHN WHITE, London Irish Rifles, beloved husband of MARY WHITE,

Deeply regretted by his loving Wife and little daughter, Margaret, 53 Dover Street.

In God's own time we will meet again.


October, 1943, killed in action.

JOHN WHITE, London Irish Rifles, beloved son of HANNAH

and the late HUGH WHITE. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Mother,

Brothers and Sister; also Brothers, Sam (R.N.) Hugh (prisoner of war), and

Sister Mary Roe, Toronto; also his Uncles, Aunts and Cousins.-Hannah White,

34 Spencer Street.

He sleeps where all is peace.


October, 1943, killed in action.

JOHN WHITE, London Irish Rifles, Deeply regretted by his sorrowing

Sister and Brother-in-law, Hannah and William Caldwell also Nephew (Wee Billy),

10 Isabella Street.

Gone but not forgotten.

In Memory of

7014159 Rifleman John White

1st Battalion

London Irish Rifles

Killed in Action

on the 30th October 1943

aged 22

Remembered with honour


Minturno War Cemetery

Latium Lazio Italy



Back ground to 1 London Irish Rifles
leading up to 30th October 1943

The first objective along the road was Teano, and as the London Scottish advanced
towards it they met a good deal of opposition. The London Irish were given the job
of capturing high ground to the east and overlooking the town, after which the Royal
Berkshires were to press through towards Roccamonfina.
During a preliminary reconnaissance near a fork on Highway Six the area was bombed
with some violence by American dive-bombers, causing a few casualties. On protesting
to higher authority, the London Irish were not much appeased on hearing that the
road-fork had been mistaken for another thirteen miles away!
After several changes in plan the attack was made, and the London Irish reached the
high ground east and north of Teano. It had been held by a strong German rear-guard,
some of whom were captured. The London Scottish entered and abandoned Teano, while
the London Irish moved over the hills to the main road below, and the Royal
Berkshires took Roccamonfina. The plan had gone very well, though there was some
delay caused by enemy demolitions. They had done these with typically German
thoroughness. Dozens of small bridges had been destroyed and hundreds of trees had
been felled over the roads, but the Pioneer Platoon of Headquarters Company under
Lance-Sergeant W. Woolf worked magnificently in removing mines and booby traps.
It was during the battle of Teano that tactical headquarters of the battalion was
bombarded by enemy mortars, machine-guns, and by a thirty-seven-millimetre
four-barrelled flak gun. With admirable coolness, the Adjutant, Captain T Sweeney,
the Intelligence Officer, Lieutenant S. Sharp, and their staff carried on. This
steadiness under fire and devotion to duty-which throughout the Italian campaign was
shown by all ranks at forward headquarters-was a notable contribution to the
battalion's success.
Enemy guns also shelled the vicinity of the observation-post held by Captain L H
Crocker, of the 408th Battery of the 146th Field Regiment R.A. (Royal Cardiganshire
Yeomanry), on the forward slopes of the ground captured by the London Irish. Though
exposed to German fire, particularly from the flak gun at short range, Captain
Crocker directed the fire of his battery until the enemy guns and mortars were
silenced. For his courage and outstanding coolness, which was of the utmost value to
the London Irish attack, Captain Crocker received the MC.
As the division went forward the country, with its gullies, hills, and ravines,
aided the enemy in their steps to delay the advance. Progress by the Allies seemed
slow to the outside world, but it had to be won with great effort on the part of all
ranks, and not without losses.


Thank you to ROS for your kind help with Johns details

Cousin No 2 of 5

brother of John and Samuel (R.N.)

[Below] 6979985 Fus Hugh White

2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers


Unsure reason for wearing RUR beret

but as more information becomes available I will add it

a very special thank you to Melanie granddaughter

of Hughie White for her kind help

Mrs.Hanna White, 34 Spencer Street, Belfast, has received official notification

that her son, Fusilier Hugh White, of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, is missing.

Fusilier White has been with the Inniskilling's for almost two years. He was formerly employed by the Belfast Corporation.

The above extract was printed in a local paper on June 24, 1940.

6979985 Fusilier Hugh White (POW number 17186)

served with the 2nd Battalion The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

he is also one of the cousins mentioned in the press release

reported as missing the day before Samuel was K.I.A.

he was taken Prisoner of War on the 15th May 1940 in the retreat to Dunkirk

and spent his first period of captivity in Stalag XXA

All together he spent 5 years and 20 days as a prisoner of war.

He saw the remainder of his time out in Stalag Camp number 344

and was eventually released on the 3rd June 1945.

He was awarded the 1939/45 Star and British War Medal (unconfirmed)

As I read the personal accounts of the veterans who had been taken

along the 6 month death march from Dunkirk

my stomach churns at what those guys had to suffer

while German and Italian POW's did not suffer the same abuse

both here and on the mainland

With time we can forgive but we must never forget

the sacrifices made for our country

through all the conflicts

by both Men Women and Children both in our forces and on our Land

[below map showing the prison camps known as Stalag XXA]

Thorn is located in the Polish Corridor south of Danzig modern Gdansk,

on the banks of the Vistular river




Stalag VIIIB / 344

Location Lambinowice, Poland

This camp was in the Wehrkreis VIII region - Breslau (Wroclaw)

Breslau became a fortress under Hitler's orders



[Below] Hugh & Jean White on their wedding day

His brother Sammy White sitting on the left and Mertyl McKeown on the right

17 December 1947


It is with great sadness I learned today 21st December 2010

That Hugh White has passed away

My deepest sympathy to the Family Circle

Sadly I never got to know the man but have

learned so much about him and wished that I had

Lest We Forget

Hugh White WHITE, Hugh "Chalky" June 12, 1918 - December 3, 2010 Hughie "Chalky" member of the 2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers served with the Expeditionary Force in France from 1939 to 1946, passed quietly the evening of December 3rd with his family at his bedside. He is survived by his wife Jean, children, Audrey, Robert, Colleen, and their spouses, 8 granddaughters and 8 great grandchildren. Hughie touched many hearts in his life, and will be sadly missed. He was "A FIRST CLASS MAN".

December 14, 2010

With great sadness I write this in memory of a great man who made a huge impact on my life. As a child I remember him as one of the greatest dads in the neighbourhood. I am sure I am one of many kids who remember Hugh White for his great sense of humor. Your memory will live on in our hearts forever. RIP love Shirley Baia and Family


Cousin No 3 of 5

brother of John and Hugh

 [Below] RX 113115 Samuel McBrinn White Royal Navy

Samuel is on the right in this photograph

I decided to include the whole picture due to the story told to me of the guy on the left

His name is unknown to me at this time and will take further research

However what I do know is that he was a close friend to Samuel and that he ended up serving on HMS Hood and was Killed in Action when the Hood sank he came from Liverpool and had served with Samuel on a previous ship.

He was awarded the 1939/45 Star, Atlantic Star with France & Germany Bar,

Italy Star and the British War Medal

Thank you to Maureen and Frank for their help in putting this part of our

shared family history together


Cousin No 4 of 5

Brother of William "Bimsey" White

[Below] 88X31391 Jimmy White Royal Navy

Jimmy seen service from the outset of war and remained in service until 1947

More information will be added as it becomes available

Thank you to Steven Gallagher a distant cousin for his help with

Jimmys and Bimseys information

He was awarded 1939/45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star, Pacific Star

and British War Medal


Class A Leading Signalman

Enrolled at Devonport 27th September 1939

HMS Drake 1

27th September 1939 - 3rd August 1940

(Ordinary Signalman)

HMS Orion

4th August 1940 - 5th February 1941

HMS Nile (Decoy)

6th February 1941 - 11th June 1941

HMS Queen Elizabeth

12th June 1941 - 29th January 1942

(20th June 1941 Signalman)

HMS Saunders

30th January 1942 - 31st December 1942

HMS Arethusa

1st January 1943 - 5th August 1943

HMS Drake

6th August 1943 - 18th December 1943

HMS Copra (Dundonald)

19th December 1943 - 3rd April 1945

(27th November 1944 Class A Leading Signalman)

HMS Drake

4th April 1945 - 14th May 1945

HMS Olna

15th May 1945 - 19th February 1946

HMS Drake

20th February 1946 - 27th June 1946

HMS Lochinvar (Cadmus)

28th June 1946 - 2nd September 1946

HMS Drake

3rd September 1946 - 27th September 1946

HMS Ferret (Hotspur)

27th September 1946 - 15th January 1947

HMS Osprey

16th January 1947 - 18th January 1947

HMS Drake

19th January 1947 - 9th April 1947

(Released in Class A)

Enrolled in Royal Fleet Reserve Devonport

B 17612 10th April 1947 (L/Sig V/S3)

(More details to follow)

Cousin No 5 of 5

[Below]  William "BIMSEY" White Royal Ulster Rifles

Brother of the above Jimmy White R.N.

Like Grandad Billy White he also was a boxer

He was medically discharged after being injured in battle

a shell exploded in front of his truck after he landed in Normandy

on D-Day 6th June 1944

It is believed he had been serving with the 2nd Battalion the Royal Ulster Rifles

part of the 3rd Infantry Brigade who landed on Sword Beach

He was awarded (awaiting details)

[below William (Bimsey) & Eileen on their wedding day]

(More details to follow)


 [Below] B78742 Pte Charles Joseph Lutton

He joined the Militia in 1939 and served with C Company of the

Irish Regiment of Canada

During World War 2 he seen service in Italy and Holland

He was awarded 1939/45 Star, Italy Star, France & Germany Star,

Defence Medal, British War Medal and

Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with Overseas Bar

Husband of Florence Bailey White they married on the 28th March 1931

they met in Canada but ironically they both came from the Duncairn Gardens

area of Belfast and had emigrated separately to Canada in late 1920s

Also father to Florence and Mary Lutton of Toronto Canada

Who I am in debited to for their kind help and material from

the Lutton Family Collection & their extensive research on the

White Family Tree

with out it none of the above would have been possible to find

for more on this his story click on link below

Pier 21 Canadian Museum of Immigration



[Above and Below] It is amazing that this unique piece of history has been preserved

along with all the paperwork relating to his service

note on the bottom right arm his overseas service stripes

A valuable picture below showing shoulder tiles and maroon patches on both arms

[Below] Robert McAtamney Royal Navy

This photograph post card is the usual keep sake servicemen

had taken and gave to heir loved ones

Stamped Jerome Ltd

The fighting McAtamneys

Robert was one of six sons of William & Jane McAtamney and

was born on the 18 March 1920 at 24 Davys Street Carrickfergus

All six sons, just like the fighting Whites seen service during World War 2

They fought in all three services and in all theaters of War around the world

some where injured, but they all returned home safely

They are

Daniel McAtamney Lce. Cpl. R.A.F

Francis McAtamney Flight Segt. R.A.F.

Robert Samuel (Bobby) McAtamney Petty Officer R.N.

George H. McAtamney A.B. R.N.

Thomas McAtamney O.S. R.N.

Willam McAtamney Sergt. Royal Inniskillings (India)

(more details to follow)

[Below] Bobby with two friends

Photograph taken on 17th May 1940

ROYE photography 25 Cooke Street Belfast


Battle of Narvik 10th to 13th April 1940

On April 10th 1940, at 4-30 in the morning, Hardy, Hunter, and Havelock steamed into the harbour at Narvik leaving Hostile and Hotspur to guard the back door. Arriving inside the harbour, Warburton-Lee immediately torpedoed the Wilhelm Heidkamp, the flagship of Kommodore Bonte, Senior Officer Narvik Destroyer Force. The stern was blown into the air, killing Bonte and eighty of his men. Next to go was the Anton Schmitt, which was torpedoed and sunk with the loss of sixty three men. In the ensuing battle the Dieter Von Roeder launched eight torpedoes, none of which scored a hit, but she sustained many hits herself, and later caught fire, as did the Hans Luderman. Whilst all this was going on the Hotspur, which had been guarding the harbour entrance, came alone into the harbour and torpedoed two merchant ships.

Since no German warships had been seen outside the harbour, Warburton-Lee thought he had all the Germans in the bag, (he didn't realise that there were another five Destroyers nearby) so he turned his vessels at high speed and came back into the harbour to have another go at the merchant ships, blazing away with his guns, sinking and damaging six vessels. Up to now he had been incredibly lucky with only Hotspur suffering any hits, but as Warburton-Lee gathered his forces to depart his luck started to change for the worse.

The British Destroyers laid down a thick smoke screen to hide their departure, but as they headed out across the Fjord they ran into the five other German Destroyers as they charged into the Ofotfjord. The Georg Thiele and Bernard Von Armin came from Ballanger, and the Erich Giese, Erick Koellner and the Wolfgan Zenker sailed in from the Herjangfjord, surrounding the British Force in a pincer movement. In a fierce battle the five German Destroyers fought the five British Derstroyers with sustained and rapid gunfire. Most of the German gunfire targeted the British Flagship Hardy, which came under fire from two ships, most notably the George Thiele. The Hardy sustained several direct hits and soon burst into flames. When the bridge took a direct hit, Warburton-Lee was severely injured, but before he collapsed he ordered his Flotilla to 'keep on engaging the enemy'.

Other than Warburton-Lee, nearly everbody on the bridge had been killed except for Paymaster Lt. Geoffrey Standing, the Captain's Secertary. He awoke from the fearful blast to find his foot wounded, the ship out of control and heading for the shore at thirty knots. Since the wheel house was below him and nobody was answering his increasingly desperate orders to put the wheel over, he managed to hop down a ladder to the wheel house and alter course, enough to stop hitting the shore. When he regained the bridge helped by some seamen, he saw that they were now heading for two German destroyers. Since he could not slow down he decided to ram one of them. Luckily for all those left alive on board, whilst he was deciding which one to have a go at, one of the boilers was hit and the engines ground to a halt.

All the front guns on the Hardy were by now inoperable, but one of the stern guns was still banging away at the Germans who naturally returned fire into the burning wreck. Luckily the Hardy still had some 'way' on her which allowed Stanning to manoeuvre her into Vidrek where she ran aground. As she glided ashore still blazing furiously Stanning gave the order to abandon ship. One hundred and forty men plunged into the icy water, and in between the shell bursts from the German Destroyers, managed to clamber to safety on the shore. Warburton-Lee was still just alive when they got him ashore but died an hour later. The wreck of the Hardy lay burning until it lifted of the shore at high tide and drifted over to Skjomes where the vessel finally capsized.

By Peter Mitchell

As Bobby plunged in to the icy waters and swam a shore he was injured

after being hit in the face by shrapnel and had part of his lip removed.

He noticed another ship mate Tubby Cox floating unconscious in the water

he took it upon himself to rescue Tubby and bring him to shore.

The surviving ships company paraded at Horse Guards Parade in front of

Winston Churchill

Tubby Cox taking the parade Bobby is the 7 man in the front row

even after all that they had been through their humour was still high

The Captain

Capt. Bernard A.W. Warburton-Lee

was later awarded the Victoria Cross,

the first posthumous V.C. to be awarded in the Second World War

[Below] Bobby at Carrickfergus Town Hall

Receiving a watch and a ring in commemoration of his bravery

From Carrickfergus Council

after coming home to a heros welcome

After the War he transferred to the Merchant Navy

Robert McAtamney number RZ45232

and served on the following ships from August 1946 to 1960

SS Lord Glentoran

SS Eddystone

SS North Down

MV Bantria

SS Dunedin Star

MV Clytoneus

MV Anchises

A personal thank you to Kate and Roy

It is only right that your Dad is on here

with the other members of our shared families history

which grows with every day

Thank you to all concerned

I have more interesting items given to me by Kate once scanned

I will add them on here including an Ideal Picture House Pass

during his 14 day leave in April 1940

Another piece of an extremely important part of a family jigsaw

and an important part of our shared local history

during the World Wars on the home front

I really don't believe this

I have just found a copy of a poem which mentions

Geordie McAtamney on his I/C/T

a man from Carrick

I believe this should be LCT (Landing Craft Tank)

or also known as TLC (Tank Landing Craft)

used during the Normandy Landings

The poem is known as Invasion Normandy

by James Kelly

It was in the port of Southampton
Where my tale began
Many men were waiting , all out to get that man
His name was Adolf Hitler
Whom they hopes would be an also ran

There were many men from Carrick
But I can only name a few
There was Geordie McAtamney on his I/C/T
Also Jim hunter he was present too

Outside the port were many ships
Royal navy with landing craft
Royal Air Force and merchant men as well
All crewed up and rearing to go

A meeting was called in the towns Guild Hall
All the top brass were there including me
As the expert in the C.S..A.

The weather was so bad it was decided to hold
And wait until morning
All hoping to achieve our goal

Early next morning the weather improved
Another meeting was called
And when it had ended
We knew that D Day had dawned

From that moment on it was all go
The Royal Navy The Royal Air Force
And the merchant men too
Not forgetting our brave Army
With the worst job to do

Many years have passed
Since that long time ago
When many of our comrades
In the channel were lost
When you think of that day
And the men who served
And give them respect
That they richly deserve

(more details to follow)


[Below] John Davison R.A.F.

I believe that John is a nephew of Emma White nee Davison

which would make him a cousin also

(No other details at this time & further research required)


 [Below] Tommy Dodsworth Royal Navy

This is also a family member written on the back

Florence Whites Husband sitting

I now believe to be Samuel McBrinn Whites mate

Tommy Dodsworth related through marriage

(More details to follow)


These unknown men are from my Grandmothers photograph album

It reads on the back Jimmy on left two good Irish men

in Grannies writing and could also be a family member


(more details to follow)

If you can help with any information on the above servicemen

I would be very great full please e-mail me with

any information via the contact page and I will add it



They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.